Thursday, September 9, 2010

Wednesday: September 8

Woke up early and itching. The bugs attacked me last night, preying on my laziness regarding the application of bug spray. The door began opening and closing very early this morning as well, so that didn’t help.


I went back to the PT tent and had a lot of fun as usual. The old nickname “big baby” (gwo bebe) came back to haunt me toward the end.


When we came back to LAC, Sarah, Rob, and I went to the malnutrition clinic while the others did a vacation bible school back at Camp Hope. I spent the time with little Fritz who I could only make smile a few times and who fell asleep on my lap.


While we were in the clinic, the wind picked up and the rain slowly picked up pace. We did our best to save the tents. We were out in the DUMPING rain and lightning retying knots and holding stakes in place. When the other group returned, we worked to prevent flooding on the porch…it was a close call, but we did a mighty fine job. We had an assembly line going, working bucket by bucketful of water. I’m worried about what the state of Camp Hope is. Piton told us his tent collapsed (through charades of course) so I’m guessing we will find a lot of the same.


I did laundry and hung it in a rain for a second wash. Rinse and wash cycles. It is absolutely baffling how white the Haitians can get their clothes. Mine are ridiculously disgusting.


Everyone else went to the orphanage to their church service. They have just returned and it is time to sign off.

No comments:

Post a Comment