Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saturday: September 11

Today we woke up early to say goodbye to the team of nine. It feels unusual having this much free space and quiet time. We spent a little while working on PT charts in the air conditioning before a group of people from a nearby facility came to visit us. We took them down to Camp Hope and I was greeted by a very excited Tito. Come to find out, the little guy is quite the photographer. We also stopped by the artist's tent to get some souvenirs. It really is amazing work. Today, however, has been one of the hottest days here. I was definitely not "glistening," but out-right sweating!

Back at LAC, Dr. Scotty, Sarah, and I went to the malnutrition clinic to see the babies. One tiny, tiny little girl was in respiratory distress with a high fever and extremely distended stomach. After giving her some oxygen, they decided to take her to a hospital in Port-au-Prince (we recently found out that they turned her away, claiming they didn't have enough beds.) Sarah and I spent a little while playing with the little ones and dancing with Marie-Ange (a young burn patient waiting to go to the United States for surgery.)

Dr. Scotty, Sarah, Roxanna and I had a lot of fun with this new card game "Scrabble Slam!" We are getting quite good at it. We just took a break to have a delicious dinner of pork, pasta, and chili.

Tomorrow is my last day and I am sad to go. No worries...I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment