Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday: September 10

Today I started out at the PT tent, but soon left to spend some time with Dr. Scotty in the medical clinic. I got a good picture of how healthcare operates here. It really makes us seem ridiculous for bitching about any sort of healthcare we get in the United States. A 25 year old woman came in with a heart problem (I got to hear the murmur myself) and was only being treated from some sort of stomach ulcers. Dr. Scotty tried to get a hold of the doctor she saw at Haiti General Hospital, but he was pretty useless and eventually hung up in frustration. She called a private cardiologist who asked for $150.00. Obviously, the reality is that the patient would not be able to pay that sum of money, and when Dr. Scotty asked for a discount to pay $50.00 out of her own pocket, he refused her offer. The surgery the patient needs cannot be done here anyway. The doctor coldly said that she had about 2 years to live without intervention. There is talk is that the current plan is to try to get her to the U.S. for cardiac surgery. The whole situation was both mind-blowing and eye-opening. Also, a baby came in identified as febrile and weak. Apparently he was stopped cold turkey from breast feeding 3 weeks ago and the mother didn’t understand that she was no longer producing milk. Whatever she was feeding him by bottle was not adequate. It was really great to see how Dr. Scotty is working to teach the nurses to be independent when HHI leaves in November.


When the med clinic ran out of patients, I headed back to the PT tent. I spent a while entertaining the kids with my newly learned Shakira dance. Also, I have found the cutest kid in the camp: Olsen (I will have plenty of pictures to come.) Lamy took a few of us to an artist in the camp. His work was really amazing. We then hung out by the church tent for a while before we were to play soccer. All of a sudden I became really sad about leaving. Since there is no therapy on the weekends, I will probably not see anyone before I leave. Last time I knew I was coming back, but who knows what the future will bring. A few tears rolled down my cheeks and little Tito (who was clinging to me like a monkey) began to cry as well. He figured out that I was leaving. Mwen ale Lundi.


Lamy helped us get a soccer game started (though not too many of "the guys" showed up.) When we were picking the teams, there was a girl standing to the side. When Sarah asked if she was going to play, Lamy answered: “I don’t think so. She is not ready for this.” It was hilarious, though I think he was mostly referring to the fact that she was wearing a skirt. The teams were a little uneven skill-wise, but we blancs still held our own. The final score was 17-15 (our loss,) two or three of those goals being mine. It was a lot of fun. After the game, I had to say goodbye. It was difficult, especially saying goodbye to Lamy who is definitely one of my favorite people I have met here on these two trips.


We had hilarious conversations around the dinner table (with eggs, bacon, and toasted Haitian bread made by the group of nine.) There was talk about being pirates and how difficult it would be to train a parrot. Josh informed us about the type of monkey he would like, and we observed the idiocy of june bugs who hit the fan and flew both into our faces and onto the table.


We are now waiting to begin book club, the book being “Sh*t My Father Says.” Every night is hilarious. Last night I tried to read, but was voted off when I couldn’t finish the first line without busting up. I’m thinking that the fact that I won’t be reading anything tonight will mean improvement.


It’s been a long, hot, dehydrated day and my eyelids are heavy. Hopefully we will able to get started soon.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see this Shakira dance of yours. Keep on, keepin' on. You're doing amazing things, girl.

    ReplyDelete